Pilaf with anchovies is one of the most popular traditional tastes of Black Sea cuisine
The fish are lined up side by side, and filled with aromatic, buttery rice.
Then it is baked in the oven and enjoyed.
Here is the recipe:
3 pounds of anchovies
3 onions, diced
2 tablespoons of pine nuts
2 tablespoons of currants
1.5 cups of rice
1 teaspoon of allspice
1 teaspoon of black pepper
2 glasses of hot water
- Remove the anchovies' heads and bones. Wash and clean the fish thoroughly.
- Soak in cold water with lemon juice and salt for 20-30 minutes.
- Put the currants in warm water. Wash the rice and soak it in hot salted water.
- Warm the butter and oil in a pot. Sauté the onions, add the pine nuts and keep sautéing .
- Add the currants, black pepper, allspice and salt to the pot.
- Finally, add the rice and lightly sauté it, add the water and cook on low heat.
- When the rice is cooked and cooled a little, add the chopped parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 360 F.
- Cover a non-stick shallow baking dish with anchovies so that there are no gaps.
- Pour over the rice and spread equally . Cover it with anchovies again and drizzle very lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool slightly, slice and serve.